Tuesday, September 13, 2011


Fred Heron

Why do I want your vote?

I am an unaffiliated voter running on the Democratic line. I feel strongly that there is an intelligent and non-partisan solution to almost every situation. Being bound to a 'party line' or 'party loyalties' can limit people from making the best choices. I'll bet you feel that way, too!

As for our lovely town of Stuyvesant, I feel that political party shouldn't stand in the way of making the best decisions for the Town. From my experience in small business, I find it is best to make decisions based on sound financial reasoning.

As the 5th generation running ST Hudson Sons in Columbia County, I am experienced at bidding, building, contracting, project managing and watching the bottom line. You want someone like me keeping an eye on our new $850,000 bond for the Garage and Salt Barn Project. It these economic hard times, we need to be sure this new 15 year debt is well managed and that we get what we pay for. No Fat! No Favors!

As a licensed plumber, I have been busy solving storm water drainage problems with the recent record-breaking rains. You want my expertise on some of these same problems in Town, especially on Oak Leaf Drive. I've been surprised that homeowners think that the Town can do “nothing” to help. That is a sad legacy of a lack of leadership and it's time for a change.

I'm also surprised at the number of nasty and expensive lawsuits in our Town. I'm surprised that the current board has taken such a dismissive attitude toward State Court funded, free mediation services for municipalities. Surely, that is a reasonable first step to take in most any dispute. And it saves tax dollars.

These are examples of non-partisan issues that need to be addressed in our Town. Time for more independent thinking, more independent choices and independent voting!